⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] HTAP2 last revisions

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:31:19 +0000

Dear Alison,

thanks for a great job on keeping the CF names consistent and keeping the ball
rolling!!!

I agree with Martin, I think your suggestions make lots of sense. I hesitated a
little at first concerning your proposal of mentioning particles twice in some
names (PM - particulate matter, POM - particulate organic matter, together with
aerosol_particles), but found your argument convincing. It is good practise to
keep established terms together. This will make life easier for search
algorithms and other applications that need to parse the individual parts of
standard names. You had one point where you wanted some comments specifically
from my side:

3. Number concentrations

The proposed number_concentration names don't specify the type of aerosol:
number_concentration_of_pm10_in_air;
number_concentration_of_pm2p5_in_air.
Do these refer to dry or ambient aerosol? To be consistent with the other names we need something like
number_concentration_of_pm10_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air.

For the number concentration, it makes no significant difference whether the
aerosol is dry or at ambient humidity. Let me explain that. The particle number
concentration in atmospheric aerosol is dominated by particles smaller than
about 800 nm. Letting these particles grow by uptake of humidity won't change
their number, only their size. That means, if you apply a size cut, e.g. PM10,
some particles will grow out of this size range when going from dry state to
ambient state. However, since there are very few particles by number in the
range around 10?m, this effect isn't measurable, it is only of theoretical
relevance. For comparison, another systematic uncertainty in the above name
definition is the use of the PM10 size cut, which refers to 10?m aerodynamic
particle diameter. Most models use the spherical equivalent geometric particle
diameter. When going from there to the aerodynamic diameter, you need
assumptions on particle density and shape. This, even theoretically, unavoidable
systematic uncertainty in the above name definition is of the same order as the
one caused by going from dry to ambient aerosol state. I would thus for
practical reasons propose a structure like:

number_concentration_of_pm10_aerosol_particles_in_air

thus avoiding an apparent precision in the definition that can't be achieved. If
desired, we can add the essence of this discussion as a comment in the standard
name definition.

I'm presently working on a revised version of my proposal that will reflect your
conclusions.

Best regards,
Markus

--
Dr. Markus Fiebig
Senior Scientist
e-mail: Markus.Fiebig at nilu.no
skype: markus.fiebig
P Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments