⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] string valued coordinates

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 08:27:59 -0500

Mark,

If we change the conventions along the lines of Jonathon's suggestion
(define the units attribute to be inapplicable for "non-numerical"
quantities), and indicate that a lack of a units attribute is to be
interpreted as "no units", doesn't that accomplish the same purpose with
less impact on existing datasets? Adding a mandatory attribute has a
number of ramifications and is definitely more intrusive.

I've got no problem with adding a 'None' units for people that feel a
strong need to explicitly label everything, but I just don't see a need
to force everyone to do so.

Grace and peace,

Jim