⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Auxiliary coordinates without associated data variables

From: Stephan Hoyer <shoyer>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 00:14:11 -0700

In the process of writing a routine to faithfully serialize data according
to CF conventions, I have encountered a conundrum.

Suppose I have a would like to save a netCDF file representing a spatial
grid, with 1D variables "x" and "y" and 2D variables "latitude" and
"longitude". All of these variables should be considered coordinates by any
libraries that read the file, and I would like to indicate this in the
netCDF file.

If there was an additional 2D data variable (e.g., "temperature"), I could
indicate that latitude and longitude are coordinates by adding them to the
"coordinates" attribute on the "temperature" variable. However, I have no
such variable here.

Is there any standard way I can indicate that these variables are
coordinates if there are no non-coordinates on which to add the appropriate
attribute? I am considering considering using a global "coordinates"
attribute but that is definitely outside the CF spec.

Thanks,
Stephan