⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: realization | x of n

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 13:56:57 +0000

Hello Jonathan

This topic is not related to CF#108 (which I need to get back to and consider in detail).

This is an explicit piece of metadata which is provided by some systems and models and is applied to the ensemble collection, rather than statistics derived from that collection.

In most cases there will be no CellMethod but there will be a realization dimension and coordinate.

This piece of metadata could be considered to be:
  'The expected length of the realization coordinate and dimension, if the whole ensemble collection is present.'

This is preserved during subset operations, so that I may be looking one ensemble member, with a realization coordinate value of 4, but I know that this is from an ensemble of 17 members.

This is useful metadata which is available from some models and we would like to preserve it in a standardised way in our CF NetCDF data sets.

I hope this clarifies the question

all the best
mark