⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-2.0 Convention discussion

From: stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk <stephen.pascoe>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:54:02 +0000

Tim,

The usual convention is that version numbers are not decimal but "."-separated integers. Therefore, following 1.9 would be 1.10 and there is no necessity to merge into 2.0.

On the subject of git and github. I would thoroughly recommend embracing github as a collaborative tool. The github ticket system is excellent and the freedom to experiment that comes with git branches and forks is truly revolutionary. For me, the point about git is that all parties are in control -- no-one needs authorisation to try something new and the "official" branch does not loose control by allowing experimentation. It is a technology which enables a true meritocracy.

Having said that, I understand that it is a big culture shift which people don't "get" until they have had to use it for a while.

My final point -- bear in mind that those of us who's job it is to archive data have no choice but to remain backwards compatible :-).

Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK