⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Time series related to a polygonal region and cell_bounds

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:40:15 -0700

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Ben Koziol - NOAA Affiliate <
ben.koziol at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Storing geometries inside netCDF is something I've also been thinking
> about. I even went as far as to start writing some code to do this for
> polygons (https://github.com/bekozi/ncvec) using ragged arrays.

This seems like the "right" way to do it to me -- if you have a bunch of
related things that aren't the same size, what you really want it in a
ragged array.

Not CF I know...

CF kinda-sorts support ragged arrays:

http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.6/build/cf-conventions.html#Example%20H.2.4.1

At least you could do polygons in a similar fashion, and maybe propose an
addition to CF.

> I also have some Python code for converting polygons from a watersheds
> shapefile into the UGRID format (
> https://github.com/ugrid-conventions/ugrid-conventions/blob/v0.9.0/ugrid-conventions.md#2d-flexible-mesh-mixed-triangles-quadrilaterals-etc-topology).
> The major limitation here is that UGRID expects no gaps between the "faces"
> which limits its ability to store multi-geometries (i.e. Hawaii).

It also expects each "face" to have the same number of vertices, more or
less. But it's a good idea to leverage that -- let's keep things as
consistent as possible.

And you may be abel to do it pretty much in UGRID, but storing:

nodes: these would be all the vertices of all the polygons
boundary_node_connectivity: this would specify the segments that define the
polygons

then use a polygon_index variable, or something, that would be n_boundaries
in length, and specify which segments belonged to which polygon.

Though, unless your goal is interoperability with UGRID for one reason or
another, probably better to use a ragged-array approach.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer