⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Why "surface_altitude" instead of "platform_altitude"?

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:01:15 -0600

As I recall, the original proposal was for station_altitude. We decided to
change "station" to "platform". At the same time it was thought that the
existing standard name of "surface altitude" would be synonymous. I at
least was thinking of ground stations. So I think we make a mistake there
and "platform_altitude" would be the right correction.

An altitude of course needs a datum, and I think we have not been clear
enough on that. I think we should review our use or non-use of vertical
datum. A quick look seems to imply that "WGS 84" is assumed (?)