⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Return periods

From: Hollis, Dan <dan.hollis>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:58:12 +0000

Hi all,

Following the various discussions in this thread I would like to request the following new standard name:

precipitation_amount_converted_to_cumulative_probability

With the following definition:

"Amount" means mass per unit area. A variable whose standard name has the form X_converted_to_cumulative_probability will contain a value of the cumulative distribution function of X i.e. the probability of observing a value of X less than or equal to the value of X defined by the cell bounds and cell methods. The variable must have a value between 0.0 and 1.0. The cell methods must describe the processing of quantity X prior to the conversion to probability.

The units would be '1'.

I'm not sure how good the above definition is, so I'd welcome suggestions for improvement.

I'd also like to propose the following addition to the Transformations section of the Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names:

X_converted_to_cumulative_probability

With units of '1' and the following meaning:

Cumulative distribution function of X i.e. a value between 0.0 and 1.0 giving the probability of observing a value of X less than or equal to the value of X defined by the cell bounds and cell methods.

Again, I'd be grateful for suggestions on how to improve the wording to make the meaning clearer and unambiguous.

Thanks,

Dan