⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] IAGOS-CARIBIC parameters

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:28:05 +0100

Dear Damien and John

> vertical_speed probably needs to be more specific, since most terms capture both the aubstance or object (in this case the airplane) and the process. Following the other platform terms, I suggest naming this platform_vertical_speed. (it isn't clear whether this is a directional speed, e.g., negative numbers are down? If so then platform_upward_vertical_speed would be better.)

There are existing names upward_air_velocity and upward_sea_water_velocity,
so if it is directional, upward_platform_velocity would be consistent. I also
note that there are three names for platform speed (not directional) in the
horizontal:
  platform_speed_wrt_air
  platform_speed_wrt_ground
  platform_speed_wrt_sea_water
Is there any ambiguity about the reference for vertical speed or velocity?

Cheers

Jonathan