⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] downward_air_velocity

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:26:59 +0100

Dear Ben

Your arguments are reasonable and I have no answer except to say that there
are many possible choices, and we are following a compromise that has
apparently worked well for a number of years. It has been suggested before
that CF itself should be more prescriptive about what quantities are allowed
in CF datasets, I think, but that hasn't been a popular idea. Instead, we
have agreed names for quantities people want to describe with CF. Just as
netCDF is a general framework within which CF is a convention used for
certain purposes, more specific purposes (such as CMIP) develop their own
conventions to impose further constraints on how CF is used in their dataset.

----- Forwarded message from Ben Hetland <Ben.A.Hetland at sintef.no> -----