⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Daily mean temperature

From: Hollis, Dan <dan.hollis>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:59:34 +0000

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your suggestions.

The complicating factor is that, as a result of crediting the maximum temperature to the previous day (but crediting the minimum temperature to the current day), the mean temperature is actually the average of values from two *different* 24-hour periods. For example, the mean for today will be the average of a) the minimum for the 24-hour period *ending* at 09:00 this morning, and b) the maximum for the 24-hour period *starting* at 09:00 this morning (a value which will only be recorded tomorrow morning and then credited to the previous day i.e. today). See also the example in my original posting.

It may seem a strange method but it makes sense when you consider that the max will typically occur mid-afternoon whereas the min will generally occur around dawn i.e. the process of 'throwing back' the maximum temperature (only) ensures that most of the time you will be computing the average of a min and a max that occurred within the same calendar (midnight-to-midnight) day.

Given the calculation method, setting the bounds to either one of the two constituent 24-hour periods would be arbitrary and inaccurate, and to give the bounds as a 48-hour period would probably be even worse. Consequently midnight-to-midnight seemed like the only viable option for mean temperature, but with the downside that the three temperature variables would then be dealt with in different ways (with the possibility for confusion this implies).

I hope that helps to clarify the issue. Regarding the solution, we had some further discussion here yesterday and concluded that Seth's suggestion to set the bounds to midnight-to-midnight for all three temperature variables (and with a time coordinate of midday) is a better option. However your idea to give more information in brackets is a good one and could be used for max and min as well e.g.

cell_methods = "time: maximum (observing period is 0900 on day D to 0900 on day D+1)
cell_methods = "time: minimum (observing period is 0900 on day D-1 to 0900 on day D)

The only thing we are still wondering about is whether to use 0900-0900 or midnight-to-midnight for daily precipitation (the former being the true observing period). For temperature the diurnal cycle means that the 0900-0900 observations are a pretty good estimate of the true calendar-day max or min (in many cases the values would be identical). The same is not true for a cumulative variable such as precipitation, so we think that sticking to the true bounds of 0900-0900 may be a better option, even though it would be slightly at odds with the approach for temperature. To ensure at least some consistency I suspect we would still specify a time coordinate of midday (the same as for temperature).

If you/anyone else has further comments or ideas then please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan