⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF Conventions and netCDF-4 enhanced model

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:25:22 -0400

Tim,

You can use netCDF-4 without "classic" format, but for true, full CF
compliance you can't use any new features.

Personal opinion alert!!! The following is just my personal opinion. I'm
not trying to stir up trouble. I'm just sharing my observations on my
experiences. Please don't hate me.

The official CF community position is that for backwards-compatibility
reasons, they would rather not adopt new features unless there is no
"good" workaround using the old feature set. Contention can arise over
the question of whether you view the workaround as "good" or not, but
that seems to be roughly how the thought goes. The CF community also do
not view themselves as developers of new features that aren't driven by
present needs. They are also interested in maximizing the ability of
(sometimes theoretical) existing CF-aware analysis packages to properly
handle all CF-compliant files.

In previous conversations I've been given to understand that the
effective process for bringing new netCDF features into CF will be for
someone to use them in a dataset, doing their best to interpret CF in
the light of the new features. If it is a popular dataset, it will push
the CF community towards adopting some form of those new features.

In a case where I was developing a new dataset that would have been
particularly unwieldy (in my opinion) without groups, I went ahead and
used them, applying a hierarchical scope approach to file and group
attributes. As my dataset is not likely to be widely used by any
analysis packages, it will not likely cause anyone grief or drive the
adoption of new netCDF features into CF.

Grace and peace,

Jim