⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: number_of_days_with_surface_temperature_below_threshold

From: Hollis, Dan <dan.hollis>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:26:56 +0000

Dear mailing list,

The National Climate Information Centre here at the Met Office is looking to convert its archive of gridded observations data into NetCDF. I've been looking through the CF documentation to try and find suitable standard names for each of our variables. I suspect this may be the first of several posts, but I thought I'd start with something straightforward (I hope!) which is to propose the following new standard name:

number_of_days_with_surface_temperature_below_threshold

The definition would be similar to that for the existing standard name 'number_of_days_with_air_temperature_below_threshold', the only difference being that it would relate to surface temperature rather than air temperature. We require this to allow us to store values of the number of days of ground frost i.e. the number of days when the grass minimum temperature (= surface temperature) dropped below 0 degC. Following the approach for air temperature, the threshold would be specified via a coordinate variable called 'surface_temperature'.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Hollis Climatologist
Met Office Hadley Centre FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 886780 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail: dan.hollis at metoffice.gov.uk Website: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk
For UK climate and past weather information, visit http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate