⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] volume integral

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:04:06 +0000

Hello CF

We have a requirement to calculate volume integrals for a large range of model diagnostics. We would like a method to correctly identify these derived fields.

I am interested in creating a new cell_method, an integral, which would allow us to use this approach with any standard name.

Such a cell method will necessarily alter the units of the quantity by a factor dependent on the dimensions integrated over.

For example, I would like to store a data variable:

double deltaSeaIron(time, depth, lat, lon)
    deltaSeaIron:standard_name = "tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_iron_in_sea_water_due_to_biological_production" ;
    deltaSeaIron:units = "mol s-1" ;
    deltaSeaIron:cell_methods = "depth: lat: lon: integral" ;

I would very much value initial feedback from the community on these thoughts before I raise a ticket suggesting a change.

thank you
mark