⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Daily climatology?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 16:00:20 +0100

Dear Jim

> Should I note the reduced statistics
> for Feb 29 in comments, or do you think that is pretty much
> understood?

I suppose that an alert user would guess that must be the case! But if you
would like to make a note that would be a good use of a non-standardised
comment in () in the cell_methods.

> Speaking of that, what are your thoughts on including
> standard errors or standard deviations of the climatology values?

I hadn't thought about it before so my opinion is definitely not authoritative,
but for what it's worth I would suggest providing a standard_deviation, which
can be identified by the cell_methods. This is a well-defined statistic from
which a user could estimate a SE of the mean if they make an assumption about
correlation, and the SD is a useful statistic in its own right.