⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for new standard-names: graupel, wind_gust, inland_water_area_fraction

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 17:06:26 +0200

Hi Jim,

while gust and wind gust are synonyms, wind gusts are immediately
understood (and have 680.000 hits on google), while gust alone would
leave me puzzled a while until I understand the context (and google will
find a lot of people with the name Gust, but no wind).

With the definition of wind from x_wind: "Wind is defined as a
two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector", I don't see so much
redundancy in wind_of_gust. I'm quite ambivalent though about
"x/y_wind_of_gust" or "x/y_wind_gust".

Heiko