⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sigma_naught

From: Lauret Olivier <olauret>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 15:10:32 +0200

Dear John,

I see.The definition fits for radar altimeter backscattering coefficient, but it seems to be a little different for scatterometers..

Maybe we could ask for a change and just simplify this definition so that it could benefits to the whole radar instruments? I am suggesting this because I think it would be better than picking a CF standard name depending on the kind of radar instrument.

How do you see that? Can you easily find a way to turn the definition into something that encompasses scatterometers?

Olivier

De : Niedfeldt, John C (398M-Affiliate) [mailto:John.C.Niedfeldt at jpl.nasa.gov]
Envoy? : vendredi 23 mai 2014 04:03
? : Lauret Olivier
Objet : Re: [CF-metadata] sigma_naught

David,

Here is a pretty rough copy of the email. It seems a little bold, but at the same time we clearly need something other than what they are giving us. Let me know of the alterations that you would like to make.

John

Dear Olivier,

I found the definition on the CF compliance site that says this:

surface_backwards_scattering_coefficient_of_radar_wave The scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is assumed to be an integral over all wavelengths, unless a coordinate of radiation_wavelength is included to specify the wavelength. Scattering of radiation is its deflection from its incident path without loss of energy. Backwards scattering refers to the sum of scattering into all backward angles i.e. scattering_angle exceeding pi/2 radians. A scattering_angle should not be specified with this quantity.

After looking over this definition, a colleague and I feel that this isn't applicable to our needs. The definition mentions and integral over all wavelengths or a singular wavelength which are both unsatisfactory for our linear chirp pulse. In addition, the backscatter is not assumed to be without loss of energy but we are calculating sigma_naught which is the fraction of incident power that is reflected by the surface. It is also very important in scatterometry to record the angle of incidence as the sigma_naught changes based on the incidence angle in addition to various other parameters which are essential to being able to correlate data from various scatterometers. These are some of the reasons why we believe it would be best to add another standard name called sigma_naught that would be of greater benefit to the community at large.

Sincerely,

John Niedfeldt