⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for new standard-names: graupel, wind_gust, inland_water_area_fraction

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 08:22:00 +0200

Dear John and Karl

Sorry, I hadn't seen your emails before making my comment.

I think it would be somewhat inconsistent with other names to include
wind_speed in the gust vector component names, because we use "speed" to mean
the *magnitude* of a vector. [xy]_velocity would be OK and consistent with
other names. We also have the existing names [xy]_wind and
[eastward|northward]_wind, which do not include "velocity", so I made my
comment presuming that the existing names imply plain "wind" means "velocity
of wind".

----- Forwarded message from John Graybeal <john.graybeal at marinexplore.com> -----

----- End forwarded message -----