⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed Standard Name: radius_of_tropical_cyclone_central_dense_overcast_region

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:24:16 -0700

Hi Gary,

I get a little nervous about re-usability when I see specific numbers (like 300km and -30C) in a definition. They prompt two questions:
1) Is it clear that the community always uses these exact numbers (or so often that they are a de facto standard)?
2) Why is it necessary to say 'to pixels within 300km'? Why isn't the temperature limit enough?

John

On Apr 16, 2014, at 11:13, Gary Meehan <gmeehan at aer.com> wrote:

> Dear CF Board,
>
> I would like to propose the following standard name.
>
> Standard Name: radius_of_tropical_cyclone_central_dense_overcast_region
>
> Dimensions: meter
>
> Definition:
> The average radius of a central region of clouds in tropical cyclones
> lacking well-defined eye features. The radius is computed by averaging
> the great circle distance in four cardinal directions from the estimated
> storm center position to pixels within 300km, where cloud top brightness
> temperature first exceeds -30 Celsius.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gary Meehan
>
> --
> Gary Meehan
> Senior Staff Scientist
> Atmospheric and Environmental Research
> 131 Hartwell Avenue, Lexington, MA 02421-3126
> Tel (781) 761-2228 ? Fax (781) 761-2299
> e-mail: gmeehan at aer.com

John Graybeal
Marine Data Manager