⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Editing/publishing workflow

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:05:36 +0000

> I'd like to propose changing the rules. That's something the conventions committee can agree, I believe. I would suggest the simplest possibility, if we wish to retain provisional status, is to specify a time. We could say that, after one year from acceptance or when the next version of the conventions document is published, whichever is later, a change becomes permanent. What do you think?

The more I consider the concept of "provisional status" the more it concerns me. What does it actually mean for a netCDF file to use a particular "Conventions" attribute value? How can one tell what is still in provisional status? What version should data writers be using? I've checked back through 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 and they all still contain sections marked as provisional. Using the analogy to software versions that has been raised elsewhere, the CF convention versions are essentially pre-release versions, e.g. 1.6-beta, and are not suitable for production use.

I would argue that the simplest possibility is to drop the "provisional status" concept. Identifying and resolving problems should happen during the discussion of the modification and its subsequent application to the conventions document.

If a further flaw, ambiguity, etc. is subsequently discovered prior to the publication of the next version of the conventions then it can easily be resolved at that time.

If a problem is discovered after the publication of the next version then a correction must be applied and published in a *new* version. That version could be a "bug fix" version (e.g. 1.6.1) or it could just wait for the next normal release, e.g. 1.7. It would help to agree that process in advance but I have no strong opinion either way.

Richard Hattersley
Expert Software Developer
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702