⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:39:21 +0000

Dear Jim

Yes, I suppose you're right, on reflection. I was thinking of a situation in
which you were interested in the ellipsoid only for the sake of a vertical
datum, rather than as a horizontal datum (which is its usual purpose in
grid_mapping). However, I now understand from the discussion and explanations
from Jon Blower why you cannot actually refer heights to a vertical datum
without implying a particular latitude-longitude coordinate system. So the
existing grid_mapping_name of latitude_longitude will be appropriate if you
want to identify the geoid or ellipsoid as a vertical datum, I agree.

My understanding is now that the height is taken perpendicular to the surface,
and the lat-lon is defined on the surface, so the lat-lon of the point whose
height is being measured depends on the choice of surface. Please correct me
if that's not right.

Cheers

Jonathan