⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical datums and new standard name: geopotential_height_at_cloud_top

From: rhorne at excaliburlabs.com <rhorne>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:54:29 -0500

Jim:
To provide you a point of reference the GOES-R cloud and ash cloud "height" products are anchored by NOAA National Weather Prediction model data which includes geopotential height data.
(1) Which mean sea level datum?

As you suggest, it is a purely theoretical surface where the acceleration of gravity is exactly 1G. It is my understanding that this is a commonly used (if not standard model) for this type of thing. It occurred to me there are other less prevalent theoretical models out there in use.
(2) What's the resolution of the measurement?
I don't understand your question.
(3) how do I connect this measure to some other measure that is relative to a different vertical datum?

Equations exist that define the relationship between the theoretical surface where the acceleration of gravity is exactly 1G and a vertical datum. I hope you don't mind if I leave that exercise to the reader. The point is that a specific equation is required.

very respectfully,

randy