⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name request for a satellite pixel-level cloud mask

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:32:40 -0500

Dear All:

we requested the cloud mask and related quantities last year, and I had the impression these standard_names were accepted.

cloud_binary_mask: X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0 elsewhere. 1 = cloud present, 0 = cloud absent (clear). Note that if no threshold is supplied, the binary mask is 1 if there is any non-zero amount of cloud

aerosol_binary_mask: X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0 elsewhere. 1 = aerosols present, 0 = aerosolsabsent. Note that if no threshold is supplied, the binary mask is 1 if there is any non-zero amount of aerosol.

smoke_binary_mask: X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0 elsewhere. 1 = smoke present, 0 = smoke absent. Note that if no threshold is supplied, the binary mask is 1 if there is any non-zero amount of smoke.

dust_binary_mask: X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0 elsewhere. 1 = dust present, 0 = dust absent. Note that if no threshold is supplied, the binary mask is 1 if there is any non-zero amount of dust.

I asked Alison in December about why these had not made it into the CF standard name table, and she said it was on her queue..

The specific thread starts at: http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056483.html

very respectfully,

randy