⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:42:48 +0000

Dear Jim

I think the same as Karl. The reason is that I regard height above geoid and
height above reference ellipsoid as different geophysical quantities, as are
height above bedrock (the example I gave in an earlier email, to Rich) and
height (in the sense of the CF standard_name table i.e. above the ground). If
I am standing on the summit of Mount Everest, the height above ground of
my crampons is about 0 m, but their altitude is about 8848 m. In fact in your
email you referred to them as different "sorts" of height. That sounds to me
like different geophysical quantities. Conversion between them is possible but
it is a non-trivial operation involving geophysical data. Similarly conversion
is possible between altitude and geopotential height but they are different
geophysical quantities with different standard names.

The geoid and reference ellipsoid definition, however, are fine in the grid
mapping, because they do not define the geophysical quantity. They just make
it numerically precise.

----- Forwarded message from Jim Biard <jbiard at cicsnc.org> -----