⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to handle a forecast model with non-monotonic coordinate variables

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:42:30 +0000

Dear Rich and Seth

> In this dataset, lat and lon aren't coordinate variables, they're
> auxiliary coordinate variables. There's no requirement that auxiliary
> coordinate variables be monotonic or lacking in missing_values. Your
> coordinate variables will be the ones associated with the I and J
> dimensions of the arrays.
>
> To make this data CF compliant, I believe all you'll have to do is:
>
> 1) Make sure there are coordinate variables for the I and J dimensions.
> (These can just have nondimensional dummy values.)

In fact they don't have to be included at all. It is OK just to have dimensions
without coordinate variables.

Auxiliary coordinate variables are not supposed to have missing data values.
However, we relaxed that requirement in CF 1.6 for discrete sampling
geometries. We could relax it generally, but I suppose it would make sense
to permit missing data in aux coord vars only at points where the data
variable(s) concerned has missing data.