⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical coordinates and positive attributes

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:41:03 -0800

John, Jonathan,

One detail I would differ on: In practice I do not think that
standard_name=depth and positive=up are necessarily in conflict (see
bold text below). We fairly commonly encounter ocean model outputs in
which the depths are encoded as negatives:

    0
    -10
    -20

There are merits to this encoding -- especially apparent in coupled
ocean/atmosphere situations. (Also it preserves the right-handed
coordinate system.) It would be quite peculiar (and a frequent source
of error) to insist that an ocean model output file name its Z axis as
"altitude", simply because it has encoded the depth values as
negatives. The purpose of the 'positive' attribute is to inform the
application when the encoding of values and the physical interpretation
of the Z axis are reversed from one another.

     - Steve