⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF upgrade to netCDF variable names

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:00:08 -0800

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:39 AM, jbiard <jbiard at mail.cicsnc.org> wrote:

> I don't think we should use ease of mapping variable names to a
> programming language as a reason for allowing (or not allowing) any
> particular character in variable names.

Why not? maybe not a compelling reason, but I can't imagine a compelling
reason to have more flexible naming conventions, either.

> CF has, as I understood it, considered variable names as completely up to
> the producer, relying on attributes to provide meaning. So, I can name a
> temperature variable "fluffy_bunny" if I want to, and it is completely
> valid.

valid yes, a good idea? probably not.

Section 1.3 of the Conventions states, "No variable or dimension names are
> standardized by this convention."

so there are no standard variable names -- that's not the same as standards
for variable names....

Personally, I wish there were standards for variable names, it would make
it easier to code against -- but that cat's out of the bag. But this cat
isn't: the restiricitons have been there for a long time, so the question
now is:

what are the reasons for easing those restrictions?

and

what are the reasons for keeping those restrictions?

we've given a few reasons for keeping them (maybe not all that compeling
toyou, but reasons none the less) -- what are the reasons for relaxing
them, other than "I like this naming convention that is currently not
allowed" ?

I'm not convinced that "fluffy-bunny" is any more readable or anything else
than "fluffy_bunny"

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.