⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: day, night, and day/night terminator area_fractions

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:09:54 -0800

> what about area_fraction_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle ?

That seems consistent with the other uses of defined_by, all of the sort ocean_mixed_layer_thckness_defined_by_Y. I prefer this to 'as a function of', for reasons Jim stated.

> It {stated bounds} should be implied by saying there is a dependence on a
> coordinate, I think. That is why I suggested "as a function of" i.e.
> X_as_a_function_of_Y should indicate that X has Y as a coordinate, and it's
> likely or required that the coordinates have bounds.

I find that conclusion a reach, both because Y is only ambiguously a coordinate, and 'having bounds' has a slightly tricky meaning in this context.

Since area_fraction_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle_within_bounds is clearer on its own, I like it better. But if y'all feel happier without the last bound-y bit, OK then, the definition will serve to bring that forward.

john

On Jan 6, 2014, at 10:47, "rhorne at excaliburlabs.com" <rhorne at excaliburlabs.com> wrote:

> what about area_fraction_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle ?
>
> "defined_by" exists in a couple of other standard names.

John Graybeal
Sr. Data Manager, Metadata & Semantics

M +1 408 675-5445
skype: graybealski