⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cf standards for probabilities

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:08:06 +0000

Dear Vegard

Regarding your point (1), confidence. Could you say more precisely what you
mean by "correctness"? I don't really understand the idea here, or in (3)
where you use it. I am wondering if we could describe by some means other
than a standard name modifier, since those appear to be problematic.

Regarding your point (2), the standard name guidelines suggest a pattern
probability_distribution_of_X. By analogy with that, I would suggest
cumulative_distribution_function_of_air_temperature. As you say, you could use
this standard name for a coordinate variable which specifies percentiles for a
data variable of air_temperature.

Regarding your point (3), concerning limits of precipitation, there are
already some standard names which suggest a slightly different approach (the
ones containing the word "threshold"). The standard name for your purpose could
be probability_of_precipitation_amount_above|below_threshold. The data variable
should have a coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with a standard
name of precipitation_amount to specify the threshold.