⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name for primary production of carbon per unit volume

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:08:10 +0000

Dear John, Philip, All,

In my last message I said:

> In addition I will modify the definitions of the eleven existing
> primary_production and primary_productivity names to make sure that they
> all use consistent wording as discussed under this thread.

In fact, a total of eighteen existing names will be affected by the changes discussed in this thread.

The definitions of six tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_particulate_organic_matter_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water_due_to_net_primary_production names need to be slightly modified to ensure all the wording is consistent.

In addition, Philip Cameron-Smith pointed out that "productivity|production_of_carbon" means the same as "productivity|production_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon (see http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056627.html and http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056965.html). We use the expressed_as terminology in 160 existing atmospheric and oceanic chemistry names. Its definition is: 'The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A.' I think it is sensible to make the carbon names consistent with other chemical species and thus standardize on a single and easily recognizable method of referring to a single chemical constituent of a compound substance. As a result the following twelve aliases will be created in the next update of the standard name tabl
e:
gross_primary_productivity_of_carbon -> gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon

net_primary_productivity_of_carbon -> net_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon

net_primary_productivity_of_carbon_accumulated_in_leaves -> net_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_accumulated_in_leaves

net_primary_productivity_of_carbon_accumulated_in_roots -> net_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_accumulated_in_roots

net_primary_productivity_of_carbon_accumulated_in_wood -> net_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_accumulated_in_wood

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_by_phytoplankton -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_by_phytoplankton

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_by_picophytoplankton -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_by_picophytoplankton

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_by_calcareous_phytoplankton -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_by_calcareous_phytoplankton

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_by_diatoms -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_by_diatoms

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_by_diazotrophs -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_by_diazotrophs

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_by_miscellaneous_phytoplankton -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_by_miscellaneous_phytoplankton

net_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon_due_to_nitrate_utilization -> net_primary_mole_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_nitrate_utilization

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065