⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cell_methods question

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:59:21 -0800

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Jim Biard <jbiard at cicsnc.org> wrote:

> The data is a global grid that has a value for every cell. The values
> were obtained by fitting a function to a set of irregularly spaced points
> and then sampling the function at the center of each cell.

got it -- sorry for the confusion, that is pretty much what you said the
first time...

But: at a theoretical level you have a continuous field -- it was sampled
at irregular discrete points. You then constructed a regular grid of points
by fitting the sample points. So the values you have for each cell is an
estimate of the value at the point it was computed. Do its lat-lon is that
point, i.e. the lat-lon of the center of the cell.

If that's essentially a point value, then you're done. If that's say, a
average of the cell, then you would want cell_method: mean

But the original points are irrelevant to the this. Of course, you probably
want to express that these are results from an interpolation, but I don't
know that there's a way to do that in CF -- but it's not cell_methods.

-Chris

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov