⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardizing how ensemble (realization) axes are encoded

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:22:17 +0000

Dear Steve

Sorry not to be clear.

> Mine would be this: We add "ensemble" as a standard_name. Then
> normal CF guidelines support its use in cell_methods, as in
> "ensemble: mean". Doing so also restores compatibility with CDM --
> an issue that effects real-world interoperability. It seems a clean
> and simple solution.

That is not my conclusion. I do not think "ensemble" makes sense as a standard
name. An synonym for "realization" is something with the sense of "ensemble
member". "Ensemble" means all the members together. I don't think it would be
meaningful to have a variable with "ensemble" as a standard name.

The existing conventions and standard_name table allow us to put e.g.
"realization: mean" in cell_methods to indicate a mean over the members of
an ensemble, in the case where there is no dimension named "realization".
In that case, the name "realization" is interpreted as a standard name, and
the cell_methods entry implies that the mean has been calculated over all the
members of an unspecified ensemble.

I feel that this convention is OK and probably adequate. However you and others
have suggested, I think, that it is not clear enough. Therefore my conclusion
is that we could (if you think it worthwhile) define "ensemble:" as a special
keyword that could be used in cell_methods to indicate that the statistic has
been calculated over the members of an unspecified ensemble. That would be
defined to mean exactly the same as "realization:" in the sense of the last
paragraph, but might be clearer.

----- End forwarded message -----