⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell methods when there are no coordinates

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:49:11 -0800

Two quick comments:

 1. "We could perhaps ... introduce a new standard name such as
    ensemble_member_id (a string) or ..."
      * Have you hit on a void in CF that needs to be filled? Unless
        I've overlooked it CF has not yet standardized the manner in
        which ensemble axes are to be identified -- a standard_name for
        the ensemble axis, units, etc.. (The string "ensemble" does not
        appear in the CF 1.6 document.)

 2. I'd like to cast a strong vote *against* the idea of overloading the
    cell_methods attribute (trac #108) for the purpose of describing
    collapsed axes. What may appear as an appealing short cut now,
    seems to me destined come back to bite us later. Cell_methods, as
    the name suggests, is the place to document the transformations that
    have occurred within grid cells -- beneath the resolution of the grid.

    The concept that is under discussion here is how to document an
    algorithm that was applied across the entire grid domain when
    collapsing an axis. The concept is the same that is needed when
    documenting an axis collapsed by, say, a long term time average or
    a vertical integration. Isn't this the type of content that
    normally gets (partially) documented in the standard_name modifier
    -- "integral of ..." "change over time of ..."? Should a starting
    point for this discussion be a addition of "ensemble average of ..."
    to the list of standard_name modifiers? (The cons of packing
    transformation descriptions into standard_name deserve debate as
    well as the pros, though for reasons that lie outside of the current
    discussion.)

    What's needed is a consistent mechanism for documenting the details
    of how an axis was collapsed. We should consider how (say) the time
    limits of an axis that has been collapsed by performing a long term
    time average should get documented. The answer to this question
    should guide the manner of documenting the collapse of an ensemble
    axis. It is unlikely that cell_methods would be part of this answer.

     - Steve