⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell methods when there are no coordinates

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:55:27 +0000

Hello CF

I am interested in defining cell methods where there are no coordinates.

I have a set of cases which I do not think fit the patterns in the current conventions.

I suggest that we provide further capability for defining cell method instances.

I have prepared a use case on the Trac wiki, to illustrate one of the cases that is driving this:
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/wiki/aggregateExampleMH

Am I right that there is not a currently available capability for defining the result data set in this case?

I think this case and many others may be addressed by adding the following text to the conventions document, appending to:

7.3.4. Cell methods when there are no coordinates

the text:

Where the cell method refers to a nominal cell, which is not described by a data dimension, ancillary variables may be referenced by a cell method to indicate the concepts the aggregation took place over.

To define this, the syntax:
  "ancillary_variable_name_1: ancillary_variable_name_2: cell_method_name"
is used.

In this case, referenced ancillary variables may be extensive, with multiple values, but they must be invariant with respect to the data variable: they may share no data dimensions.