⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for surface aerosol optical properties

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 09:46:27 +0100

Dear Markus

Thanks for your work on this. They generally look consistent and clear to me.
I have comments on a few aspects.

surface_particle_number_concentration_at_stp_in_aerosol (and other similar
names). Could this be said more clearly as
surface_number_concentration_of_aerosol_in_air_at_stp?
That would be consistent with existing names e.g.
number_concentration_of_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol_in_air

You draw attention to the inclusion of "surface" in the above, but I'm not
clear why it's there. Is the measurement actually exactly at the ground? If
not, surface should be omitted, and the height indicated by a numerical
coordinate, or some other phrase e.g. in_atmosphere_boundary_layer (that one
already appears in the stdname table). Clouds do not usually occur at the
surface, so "surface" is surprising for CCN.

electrical_mobility_particle_diameter. I think the "electrical" here refers
to the means of measurement. Usually the CF standard name describes the
geophysical quantity itself. Would it be OK to say aerosol_particle_diameter?

sizing_relative_humidity. Could "sizing" be omitted? The definition of your
standard names can specify what the role of the RH is.

Cheers

Jonathan