⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sediment trap data

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:41:49 +0000

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your suggestions :-).

This is not really my field, but I have worked a bit with isotopes and fluxes, so wanted to comment on your second question.

>From a CF point of view, I think it would be a mistake for one type of variable (sinking_flux) to have different physical units and definitions (mass/m2/sec vs ratio) . I am not aware of any such case that has been approved.

On a separate point, as a modeler I have always preferred to treat the fluxes and reservoirs separately for each isotope, and then calculate any needed ratios. I am not really sure, in general, what it means to talk about a flux of a ratio, without also providing the mass fluxes and the sizes of the reservoirs. That said, ratios do have uses, so for the ratios I would suggest something like

composition_ratio_of_silicon_30_to_silicon _28_in_sinking_flux.

(note that I just typed this without carefully harmonizing with other std_names in order to move the discussion forward, so I reserve the right to criticize myself if people pick up on this ;-).

As a more minor point, I would prefer sinking_mass_flux over sinking_flux_mass, just for consistency with all the other mole_flux and mass_flux existing std_names.

My 2 cents :-),

    Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.