⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name for acoustic travel time from echo sounder

From: Matthias Lankhorst <mlankhorst>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 11:50:58 -0700

Hi again,

addendum to my previous message: Nan was asking what the best way to provide
information needed to compute sound speed was. My previous lengthy answer was
essentially, "don't provide sound speed".

If you wanted to ignore this well-intentioned advice and provide sound speed,
I'd say you need to:

- provide the water depth you used (e.g. in the bounds attribute)

- indicate in cell_methods that you have a harmonic mean in the Z direction
(right now, I can see "mean" but not "harmonic_mean" in the list of possible
cell_methods - this list would have to be amended, I suppose)

If you wanted to let the users do it themselves, you should give them a way to
figure out the water depth, by indicating everything you know about where you
deployed the instrument (e.g. in the comment attribute, "Instrument deployed
at site where echo sounder showed 2885m water depth using sound speeds
corrected with nearby CTD data. Sounded depth uncertainty estimated as
+-10m.")

Matthias

--
 Dr. Matthias Lankhorst