⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Towards recognizing and exploiting hierarchical groups (Charlie Zender - Steve Hankin - Richard Signell)

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:25:50 -0700

On Sep 19, 2013, at 13:58, Charlie Zender <zender at uci.edu> wrote:

> Nothing in our proposal mandates a single way of representing hierarchies. Au contraire.

The concern by the hierarchy-wary is not that you'd mandate a single way, but that by providing an open mechanism, you would encourage a raft of competing ways, which in the aggregate are indecipherable and/or non-navigable without custom direction from the provider of that data. (In fact, a single way would have the advantage that it would be straightforward to understand and navigate, so you might actually be able to produce software packages that worked with it.)

John Graybeal
Senior Data Manager, Metadata and Semantics

T +1 (408) 675-5545
F +1 (408) 616-1626
skype: graybealski

Marinexplore