⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Towards recognizing and exploiting hierarchical groups (Charlie Zender - Steve Hankin - Richard Signell)

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:11:18 -0700

Hi Steve,

Your stern but steady caution about the tension between flexibility
and interoperability is well-taken here.

> What have been the down sides to the
> use of groups and hierarchies?

Those who respond to this please be careful to distinguish between
HDF5 _allowed_ hierarchies and netCDF4-API _exposed_ hierarchies.
In the context of CF we strongly suggest allowing only the latter
(netCDF4) amount of flexibility. Lack of coordinates and cyclic
groups are downsides to interoperability of some HDF5 datasets with
themselves and with netCDF. Use of these features is diminishing
as a result. Evolution in action.

> How could those downsides have been
> minimized through more restrictive conventions?

To me, the CDM/netCDF4 API exposes enough flexibility and power.
NASA is moving towards HDF datasets that can be completely represented
by the netCDF4 API. Not there yet, and may never get there totally,
but a good chunk of Level 3 data is there now.
It would IMHO be better if group metadata inheritance were enshrined
by convention, rather than being implicit or ignored.

Best,
cz

--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(