⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Towards recognizing and exploiting hierarchical groups (Charlie Zender - Steve Hankin - Richard Signell)

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:08:24 -0700

Hello John,

> As I understand it, your starting concern is to be able to put
> things into folder-equivalents, pure and simple.

Our original post describes my goals. Groups are a logical place to
start because they must exist for inheritance to be meaningful.
I am for having 1. groups as containers, 2. metadata inheritance, and,
eventually, 3. metadata (like "ensemble") that exploits specified
relationships among groups. It sounds like you are for the latter two,
too.

> I wonder if trying to satisfy both needs with one modification will
> produce the cleanest outcome?

I am for _starting_ (not staying) simple.
I explained that the simplest conceivable step toward our goals
is recognizing groups as legitimate containers. Then I constructed a
"straw-man" of how this would be rather silly unless metadata
inheritance were also recognized. Lacking that, each group would need
its own copy of all the file-level metadata like "history" and
"Conventions". Silly, methinks.

The straw-man of groups as containers is only a starting point.
Alone it would not satisfy me, you, or many others.
Perhaps treatments of groups and metadata scope should join the
convention simultaneously, otherwise, as you say, not much point.
I hope the group-as-container-only strawman illustrates one end of the
spectrum of complexity for what could become a longish standard that
should perhaps begin with a few small steps.

cz

Le 17/09/2013 17:08, John Graybeal a ?crit :