⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Towards recognizing and exploiting hierarchical groups (Charlie Zender - Steve Hankin - Richard Signell)

From: Bryan Lawrence <bryan.lawrence>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:10:31 +0100

Hi Folks

CMIP5 is illuminating in a number of ways ... not least because it is
impossible to come up with a *natural* hierarchy for consumers of the data
(as opposed to the producers). But even the producers have different ways
of organising their material (running members of different ensembles all at
once, or all members of one ensemble at once), then the data has to be
published and versioned ... and all of a sudden there is no natural
hierarchy for CMIP5 (although everyone will have their own idea of what it
could be ... )

The advantage of a flat system of objects, which can be linked into
multiple hierarchies by a layer of metadata/indirection (call it what you
like) becomes obvious in that context ... you can do faceted browse (and
faceted assemblage of groups). So it's not so obvious to me that Charlie's
examples are so compelling ... (indeed, even the NASA examples aren't so
compelling when you consider some of the data use, which immediately
requires us to extract and replicate the data into smaller granules in some
cases ...)

Which leads me naturally onto CF. I think there *is* a case for thinking
about how we use hierarchical attributes in CF (indeed, we've just been
arguing about it in another context with the concept of file attributes and
variable attributes). We could resolve this once and for all by
establishing a convention for CF which says how we *will* do group
attributes as they become necessary. (I still think we will eventually want
vector concepts more naturally represented in files, even though I think
files should not be our one view of the world.)

However, the argument about file and field attributes applies here. What (I
think) we're talking about (thus far) for groups is metadata aggregation
and is simply a *file based convention* for simplifying storage, so that
when the file gets unpacked, the data model says the attributes are owned
by each individual group member. If it's just that on the table, then I'm
OK with this.

The scope issue on the other hand, opens a can of worms, and I hope I've
demonstrated with the CMIP5 preamble, that' it wont be that obvious to
resolve.

Bryan