⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] misleading sentence on coordinate attribute

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:17:17 -0700

Dear all,

In the Overview section 1.3 of the CF standards, the following sentence
appears:

" In cases where coordinate variables are not applicable, the variables
containing coordinate data are identified by the |coordinates| attribute."

This implies to me that "where coordinate variables *are* applicable,
one should not use the coordinates attribute to identify them", which is
incorrect, since near the beginning of chapter 5 we state " Note that it
is permissible, but optional, to list coordinate variables as well as
auxiliary coordinate variables in the |coordinates| attribute. "

If anyone else thinks the sentence in the overview section is
misleading, perhaps we should submit a "defect" changing that sentence to:

"The second option is to include the coordinates attribute, which
identifies variables which are not necessarily "coordinate variables" in
the NUG-defined sense, but which in fact are used to store coordinates."

What do you think?

cheers,
Karl