⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] a conceptual question about "area_types"

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:50:22 +0100

Dear Randy

> In the case of
> GOES-R, the ground system will not know what type of fire it is.

OK, I see. What types of fire could it be? I am sure we can choose a word for
it. I think "fire" would not normally be understood to include "volcano", for
example, but perhaps a volcano looks like fire to GOES-R?

> Also, in you reply below, you state that area_type could be used as a
> dimension of data variables. I could not find anything in the CF standard
> that explains this (maybe you are referring to the "where typevar"
> discussion in CF standard para. 7.3.3.).

Yes, the where construction is a mechanism which could introduce an area_type
dimension. However, it's possible anyway. Any standard name could name a
dimension of a data variable (although if it's string-valued, like area_type
or region, the values have to be an auxiliary coordinate variable rather than
a coordinate variable).