⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] a conceptual question about "area_types"

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 13:19:05 -0400

Folks:

The current area_type table includes "cloud", "snow", and "vegetation". These are environmental conditions whose existence and location vary over time.

In GOES-R, we are generating rainfall, fire, aerosol (smoke and dust), and volcanic ash product files. These product files contain statistics (e.g. min, max, mean, std dev) that are associated with only those regions on the earth where these environmental conditions are found. For the variables containing these statistics, we are using cell_methods. A "where fire" clause would make sense (if "fire" were in the area_type table). It would seem a "where fire" clause is conceptually the same as "where cloud".

If they are the conceptually same, there would be value to expanding the area_type table. However, I can see a slippery slope forming as the area_type table could grow large.

If they are not conceptually the same, what am I missing ?

very respectfully,

randy