⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Using cell methods for statistics associated with gridded observation data

From: rhorne at excaliburlabs.com <rhorne>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:43:02 -0400

Dear Jonathan: Thanks for taking the time to look at my long-winded post.
 You posed a question I would like to answer: Is "sum" really the right
cell_method? I would have expected "mean".
 The cell method "sum" is applied to the "time" and "y" and "x" coordinate
variables The reason "sum" is used for the "time" coordinate variable is
that the sensing of a region (i.e.cell) occurs over a several minute
period. The sensing associated with a particular observation/pixel in the
region (i.e. cell) happens in less than a second. Statistics associated
this cell in time are really an accumulation over the several minute
sensing period. The use of "sum" for "area" in the example below is a
mistake. The example wss supposed to show the minimum AOD value for the
region (i.e. cell) that was sensed over a several minute period. I should
have used "minimum".

Here is the correction to the declaration of the cell_methods attribute:

cell_methods = "time: sum area: minimum (interval: 2 km
comment:solar_zenith_angle and platform_zenith_angle conforming pixels
only)" ;

very respectfully,

randy