⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Non-real-world calendars

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:03:08 +0000

Hi Seth,

> I'm confused by 1). Could you explain further?

A non-real-world calendar has no well-defined relationship to UTC. So CF must not refer to UTC in the definition of time zones for non-real-world calendars.

I proposed banning time zones as the "simplest" solution to this issue. If no one wants time zones in non-real-world calendars then there's some work software tool implementers (such as myself) can avoid.

But if time zones in non-real-world calendars are desirable (as you say they are) and can be described with a suitable definition then I've no objection to including them. I don't mind doing work, it's just unnecessary work I object to. ;-)

> Regardless, if there's no offset specified, the time coordinate
> still needs to be pinned down by having it be relative to some
> particular point on the globe.

That makes sense.

Richard Hattersley
Benevolent Dictator of Iris - a CF library for Python: www.scitools.org.uk/iris
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702