⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Non-real-world calendars

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:50:34 +0000

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your feedback.

> Issues like these have been raised before, and in fact there are two
> open tickets (96 and 101) which I think relate to your points 2 and
> 3. Perhaps you could have a look at them?

In the hope of making progress my statements/questions are deliberately confined to non-real-world calendars, whereas ticket 96 is exclusively concerned with the "real-world" mixed Gregorian/Julian calendar.

Ticket 101 was proposed as a correction for the definition of "year" within the Julian/Gregorian calendar. But the correction is not actually required, so the discussion has moved on to consider what meaning, if any, should be allowed for "year" in the Gregorian/Julian calendar.

It is conceivable that the discussion on #101 could be extended further to include the non-real-world calendars, but I am wary of doing so because of the seemingly large "drag factor" that comes into play when discussing real-world calendars.

> Time-zones probably aren't needed for non-real-world calendars,
> which are typically used in climate models only - but do they do any
> harm, if they are simply defined as offsets in hours?

Yes - I think they do harm. I suspect (hence the posting) they are not used. Yet they introduce ambiguity of interpretation, and they require effort to support in software. Both of which cost time (no pun intended) and money.

> Perhaps the argument would be that time-zones involve summer time
> (daylight- saving), and in the non-real-world calendar it wouldn't
> be clear when summer time applies.

That's a good example. For another, consider that the conventions define time zones with respect to UTC. But a non-real-world calendar has no defined link to UTC so there's confusion right from the start.

Regards,
Richard