⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:56:02 +0100

Dear Karl

Like Roy, I don't think we should deprecate sea_surface_skin_temperature.
Although I cannot remember the arguments - which must be apparent in the
mailing list archive - I do recall that it was a careful and long discussion
with Craig which led to the introduction of the various SST names.

Therefore adding land_surface_skin_temperature seems fine to me if there is
a need to be precise about this as an observable quantity, which relates
to a particular layer, even though it's very thin. The definition should note
that if this precise meaning is not intended, the name surface_temperature
could be used, which strictly refers to the temperature at the interface.