⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:44:11 -0700

Dear all,

I think for any conceivable purposes land_surface_skin_temperature is
identical to surface_temperature. If not, the definition should explain
how they differ. Is there really an important difference between the
temperature representative of the top few micrometers and the
temperature of the top few molecules of the surface? I know in models
there isn't. Also, over land presumably some sensors are inferring
this temperature from radiation emitted by some combination of both
vegetation and bare ground. "upper boundary of the land" sounds like
bare ground to me, so maybe this should be clarified.

Rather than define land_surface_skin_temperature to maintain consistency
with sea_surface_skin_temperature, I would prefer to deprecate
sea_surface_skin_temperature in favor of surface_temperature. As
Jonathon G. recalled, there was some rather extensive discussion about
sea_surface_skin_temperature when it was proposed, which should be
reviewed before deciding to deprecate. [I can't remember it, and I
don't think I participated in that earlier discussion, but I can't see a
need for skin_temperature.]

Reading over the 3 standard names relevant to SST (surface_temperature,
sea_surface_temperature, sea_surface_skin_temperature) here are some
comments:

For *models*: In ice-free regions all three quantities are identical.
In sea-ice-covered (or partially sea-ice-covered) regions only
sea_surface_skin_temperature and sea_surface_temperature are identical
(although one might argue that sea_surface_skin_temperature should not
be defined under sea ice because longwave radiative fluxes are normally
neglected between the sea ice and ocean below.) Globally all three are
the same if cell_method="area: mean where ice_free_sea".

For *observations*: There is a difference between
sea_surface_skin_temperature and sea_surface_temperature. In addition
sea_surface_temperature is imprecise because it depends on the measuring
device (e.g., ship intake temp., bucket temp. ). In ice-free regions
sea_surface_skin_temperature should be nearly identical to
surface_temperature (How big can the difference be between a weighted
average of temperature over the top 10-20 micrometers of the ocean and
the temperature of the top few molecules of the ocean??). Onemight
argue that sea_surface_skin_temperature should not be defined under sea
ice because the radiometers used to measure it would not normally
penetrate the sea-ice. If so, then surface_temperature with a
cell_method="area: mean where ice_free_sea" would be the same as
"sea_surface_skin_temperature" and they both would undefined under sea
ice. They would, of course, differ from sea_surface_temperature.

My conclusion is that sea_surface_skin_temperature is not needed and
should be deprecated and for similar reasons
land_surface_skin_temperature should not be added. We need to retain
both sea_surface_temperature and surface_temperature.

best regards,
Karl