⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] publishing standard names

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:19:54 -0700

A definitive identifier would consolidate usage around that URL, enhancing the user experience. That's the key advantage.

Which order to follow is 6 of one, half a dozen of another; one does not have to happen before the other does.

Today we have the resources provisioned at URLs, which is good. If/when CF wants to have a definitive domain for their URLs, they will register that domain.

At that point, it would be straightforward to do any of the following, which have similar value and visibility to the community:
A) Use apache redirects to point to the external resolver of choice (simplest but slightly less transparent to the user)
B) Add the vocabulary, under the newly definitized namespace, to an external resolver that supports native name spaces (as MMI does) and *then* use apache redirects to point to the external resolver.
   B.1) The external resolver could be made to look like CF namespace for that vocabulary, or could be served remotely into the CF site.
C) Host the vocabularies locally in the CF namespace (which is trivial at one level, but involves many policy and technical choices)

Since at that point there will almost certainly be multiple hosts providing/resolving CF terms (not counting CF itself), it will be useful to semantically unify the CF terms in different repositories (CF:termA sameAs NERC:termB sameAs MMI:termC). That easily enough resolves ambiguity/duplication for semantically aware users.

So technologically things are surprisingly good. The hard part is that CF will have to decide how it wants to satisfy needs (like versions) within its namespace. Taking the versioning example, the NERC team went down one path, then found a better one for their primary users. In MMI we picked yet another way, which supports both NERC's first path, and a 'versionless' term -- and could later match NERC's approach. Which is best for CF? To be discussed, I would say. There are many other strategic questions of that sort.

So I'm not feeling much urgency for the definitive namespace, because I don't know that CF is ready to tackle all the related questions, and the existing semantic solutions are pretty viable so far. But if you are, by all means give it a shot. (I'm OK with your name, though I find myself typing these names a lot, so I prefer shorter domains and minimal special characters. Your mileage may vary!)

John